Sunday, January 26, 2014

Sizing down, touching hearts...

“Saying good-bye to things which have meaning in
your mind, but not your life, is a good thing!
Keeping those things that bring
both is a blessing”
- Anonymous

Downsizing is time consuming, and if you carry even the vestiges of a hoarding gene, extremely stressful.  While I am uncertain I feel a compulsion to keep things, I sometimes wonder what should go and what should remain.

You now the saying, “Reduce what you have…decrease what you want.”  In this decade of my life, and in particular with this move, I have been trying very hard to incorporate that wise saying.

In the process of the move, one makes decisions about what to keep and what to pitch on the front end, and also on the back end as the ‘settling in’ takes place.

The unexpected…
The card slipped out of the file folder I had been sorting through in the office of our new home.

It was one of those birthday cards you get for the appropriate gender of child – in my case it was to a ‘son.’  The outside was a brightly colored cartoon drawing of flowers in the foreground, a field of vertical light yellow and green furrows just behind the garden, several fully shaped trees of the same colors at the end of the field, set with a blue sky in the background.  The Header said, “FOR OUR SON On His Birthday”  In my father’s hand between the words “…OUR…” and “...SON...” was a moderately readable, “only.”

The inside was dated, May 31st, 1974…the card would arrive twelve June, the date of my birth. 

The inside text:
Your birthday
brings back memories
So warm – so full of fun –
That our hearts are brimming over
With good wishes for you, Son!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
MANY HAPPY RETURNS

It was signed in the same hand, “Deepest love in Christ, Mother and Dad.” 

Most greeting cards put their standard message on the right panel, leaving the left side either empty, or small graphic of some sort.  This one brought some of the flowers from the front to the left panel for continuity…a nice touch.

Pretty standard stuff one might say…thoughtful...sent early so that it would arrive on time.  Yeah, pretty standard…except there was nothing typical about this card.

On the left panel just under those lovely flowers was this note in my father’s hand,

“Dear Ted,” the faltering hand wrote with his favorite ink pen. “We gave you to Christ on your 1st birthday and he has given you back to us.  Our cup is full and running over.  Dad and Mother”

The exceptional nature of this card is it came from my father…he had picked it out…hand written the note…something he NEVER did.  Writing even these short words legibly would have been an agonizingly slow and difficult of process and reading these words struck my heart with the unexpected accuracy of a sniper waiting patiently in his nest for the unsuspecting target to emerge in his sights.

Dad had been in the throes of Parkinson Disease for several years by now, and it had already taken much from him.  He was a proud man and did all he could to mask the symptoms in public and from the pulpit, as he fought the beast with everything he had. 

By now the disease had taken his body and most of his ‘hand.’  Truth be told, his pen to paper had never been very clear…or at least to me in years after I learned to read cursive writing.  It seemed the longer he worked in his life, the more illegible his writing became.  He could read it, but that was about it.

If I were to broadly categorize my father, it would be that he was a fighter, a man, I am uncertain that had the word ‘failure’ in his vocabulary.   He would have denied it was Parkinson’s and would, of little doubt, have believed he could overcome these stress induced tremors…it would just take discipline and time.  The prison he found himself in, however, as hard as he tried to find escape, had been locked shut, the combination thrown away, the walls slowly and inexorably encroaching inch by inch until they would eventually crush him. 

There was another inmate in this prison.  It was my mother.  She knew the private struggle, the depression, the anger and stress as she saw this man lose his physical capacities through the ever tightening strangle hold of this devastating disease.  What she didn’t realize, in the beginning, was how it would ensnare her time and energies, slowly engulfing them both for the next decade as she cared for him and he slipped away.

As I read these words, I felt a tear slip from my eye.  She would have told him, “Ed, let me take care of the card to Teddy.  I always do it.”  I can almost hear his voice, “Fan, I want to do this…I need to do this…just let me do this, ‘PLEASE!’”  He loved this woman, but sometimes he had to put his foot down.  The  “…please…” would NOT have been pleading, but rather in the kind of knowing impatience that comes from living with someone you know too well.  I had come back from the war alive when he had been terrified I would not.  He would write this card damn it, and that was all there was to it.

On many levels, these few handwritten words were a labor of love…one he would NOT be denied.

He was sixty-one when he struggled to put these words to paper, five years younger than I am as I sit behind this keyboard.

In these moments of reflection, many images of my father flashed through my mind…some made me smile, others touched me deeply.  Fathers that loved their sons can do that, you know.  I wondered what he might think if he were to have seen my journey, since he boarded the flight of no return…who knows, maybe he has.

In my heart I found myself composing these few words,

“Dear Dad, Thank you for giving me back to Christ on my first birthday.  Thank you for giving me life and for trusting that God would keep me in His hand.  I want you to know, He has.  While I am uncertain exactly how this will transpire, I look forward to seeing and feeling both mother and you once again.  As I think of the table you set for the life of your ‘only’ son, I am grateful beyond this brief expression, for it is my cup that “…is full and running over.”

- ted

No comments:

Post a Comment