Sunday, January 19, 2014

Names are more than labels...

What’s in name?  That which we call a rose
by any other name would smell as sweet.”
- Shakespeare, W.

She was named for the Old Testament Biblical character ‘Hannah.’  The name means ‘favor or grace.’  While Hannah is a minor character in the scripture, her impact in bearing the child Samuel – one of the great history-shaping prophets in the Judeo-Christian religious tradition – shaped the future of Israel more than any other woman.  Yes sir, without Hannah, not much of the Old Testament happens.

In her 70s, Hannah carries her portly body with grace, refusing to look as if she has aged since her early forties!! 

I’ve known her most of her life…I mean as well, I suppose, as any man knows those of the ‘fairer persuasion.’

The thing about Hannah is that, except for those very early years, she has always been a pretty big girl.  One might say it appeared she had real potential to pack on the weight from the very start.  You know what they say: big hands in youth suggest a big body in adulthood.  What?  You’ve never heard that?  It is clear then, you have never met Hannah. Those ‘paws’ were outsized almost right from the start, leaving little doubt that when she grew into them, she would be considerably hefty. 

Sometime take a look at the work of Auguste Rodin, the prolific French artist who sculpted ‘The Thinker’ among many other well-known pieces including the ‘Gates of Hell.’   The hands and feet, on his figures, are disproportionally larger than the bodies; a trademark of much of his individual and multi-person work.  That would be Hannah.  The ends of those arms and legs took some time to grow into, but grow into them she did.

As a policy deeply ingrained in the neurochemistry of my mind, the result of living in the home of a minister, and the lovingly firm but gentle hand of my mother, I learned to not draw attention to individuals with physical issues, but the more I was around Hannah, I found myself referring to her as “the little pig.”  To be fair, for a long time, I did not do in her presence, feeling it might inflict trauma accompanied by unintended consequence.  

While not proud of it, as time passed; completely out of character, I simply could not restrain myself, and began saying it in her presence.  I don’t even know how many times Molly admonished me or doing so, but in full acknowledgment, it was a compulsion – one for which I openly declare, “I need help.”  Balancing this unseemly behavior on my part, however, I have always greeted her with genuine loving enthusiasm – it does seem inconsistent doesn’t it?  The thing about her is that she seems to take all of this in stride.  In fact, when I talk like this, she appears to completely ignore me.  I have to give her a lot of credit for that.

While not having the most intimate of relationships, we do feel comfortable touching one another – appropriately I hasten to add.  I regularly tell her I love her, patting her lovingly on the head, or occasionally rubbing her back – she really seems to like that.  It is true, however, that I initiate most of this.  On those rare occasions when we are together, she will sit on the couch with me and watch a little TV.  I have the quiet suspicion she does this just to patronize me, because while she appears to gaze directly at the screen, she has the most disinterested of looks.  She has never once indicated she enjoyed the experience.

Occasionally while I am sitting in the backyard of our little home, she wanders by for a visit.  I might be reading or just enjoying the mindless entertainment of the birds that come to munch from our bird feeder. I am uncertain which one of us enjoys this the most – bird watching I mean – she or me.  Sometimes she chatters away, but as happens with those who have a degree of familiarity, we are able to quietly enjoy sharing space together.  I particularly like that…the quiet moments.

While she is very healthy, for her age I mean, I wonder sometimes what it would be like NOT having her around.  She is older and unless something unexpected shortens the breath I take on this planet, I will outlive her.  They say cats have ‘nine lives.’  Oh were it that she truly had that many and that she was purring near me as I finish my journey, even if she appeared disinterested…for that I would give much indeed.

While I have uncharacteristically teased her and she can be a little high maintenance, whining a fair amount when she does not get her way, for the most part I have “…grown accustomed to her face…” 


Hannah?  What she has lacked in ‘grace,’ in my life, she has more than made up for in ‘favor….’

- ted

No comments:

Post a Comment