Sunday, March 22, 2015

Emma's tale...

"Not all that wander are lost."
J.R. R. Tolkien

“You must have a name,” I said after we had been chatting for 45 minutes or so.

“Emma,” she replied

“Nice to meet you Emma,” I said with a smile and an extended hand. “I’m Ted.”

It seemed like the right thing to do considering we had been in a ‘warm water’ conversation, before the flight even got off the ground from London Heathrow.

There are so many unknowns about life that emerge with the unexpected quickness of a nearby lightening strike. This conversation was one of them.

Backing up a bit…
There were a couple of ‘bumps’ on the trip to Denmark….the legs would be Phoenix > London > Copenhagen > Aalborg, Denmark.

The flight out of Phoenix was delayed causing a missed connection to Copenhagen… the rescheduled flight would be an hour and a half later.

Because it was so close to the flight when the flight was rearranged, there wasn’t really a choice of seats.  Mine? 28F – the last seat (window) on the right side of the plane…the one that resonates with every flush of the vacuum driven toilet directly behind me!

With the small roller bag overhead and my backpack under the seat in front of me, I consoled myself that I could manage the ‘knee touch’ to seat in front of me for the hour and a half flight, after all I had gotten a seat and that was progress.  My backpack, however, was a little too big to get under the seat, so I took my computer and iPad out, slipping them under my seat.

Emma the seatmate…
It looked like I would have the row to myself, meaning with a little shifting, I might just avoid the small pressure sore resulting from constant touching of the seat in front of me. 

Just then a woman took the aisle seat and after settling in, noted my ‘compact seating arrangement,’ and said, “Would you like the aisle? I wouldn’t mind switching, and I enjoy the window.”

Would I mind?! I thought. Are you kidding?

It would give me a little more legroom, and permit getting up without having to climb over her.

“I would love it,” I said, and with the switch was made!

The chat…
As it turned out, nobody sat in the middle seat, and as it turned out, it was the only empty seat on the plane!  This lent itself to an open conversation, AND a little more elbowroom.

I’m not exactly sure how the exchange got started. I probably asked whether she was leaving or returning home, and what she did for a living

Emma was heading home to Sweden from her job as a ‘long haul’ British Airways flight attendant.  I have come to appreciate this is not so unusual a thing for flight attendants to do…living somewhere quite distant from their ‘home’ flight base.  It’s just a matter of ‘hitching’ a ride to work, as it were.

Before we knew it, we slipped into an hour and a half  ‘life and the universe’ conversation that was so delightful and lively, it seemed we landed almost before we knew we had been in the air.  It was so engaging, I hardly noticed there was anyone else on the flight, nor did I ‘hear’ that toilet once!

Context for this event…
When I got on this flight, it was 9:00AM Tucson time and I had been up for 28 hours or so – majority of which sitting in airplanes.  By this time I was so tired, I was mostly thinking about the final few hours it would take to at my final destination and get to bed.

The conversation with Emma, however, was so engaging and lively, that getting off the plane in Copenhagen, I felt completely refreshed.  It was truly one of those ‘cup filling’ rather than ‘cup draining’ interactions…I’m pretty sure you know what I mean.

We wandered through customs toward the exit, said good-bye and I headed to the luggage carousel…she out the door to the rest of her life.

Realty bites…
While basking in the afterglow of this encounter, I noticed my backpack seemed a little lighter than it should have been.

Wait a minute, I thought, Where is my computer and iPad?

Had they been stolen?

There was a brief moment of ‘stomach dropping’ disorientation until I realized I had left them under my seat on the plan!

There was little doubt that by now, nobody was going to let me back through security to try and retrieve them.

Don’t panic…take a deep breath…think…

I went to the information booth in the airport to see if they might help.  It was by now nearly 35 minutes from the time I had gotten off the plane.

Sparing the intimate detail…
As it turned out, the cleaners had found the computers and were just about to take them to lost and found.  They were busy with other flights and would come as soon as they could…I would NOT be making the scheduled flight to Aalborg.

The next and final flight was one hour later and required changing my ticket, which by the way, needed to be done in a separate terminal.  I would go there, change the flight and then come back for my belongings.  Things would be tight for the flight.

As I was purchasing the ticket, someone tapped me on the shoulder.

“Here are your computers,” said the woman sent to fetch my things. “I thought it would be faster if I brought them to you.”

She had gotten the computer/iPad, tucked them under her arm and pushed a two-wheel scooter through the terminals to get them to me.

I thanked her with gusto and kissed her on the cheek (she turned beet red).  She turned, hopped on her scooter and pushed it away…to the rest of her life.

By the time I arrived to Aalborg I had been up for 36 hours, but buoyed by the conversation with Emma and the wonderful kindness of the information folks at the airport, I was surprisingly alert.  In spite of the extra hour wait, Uffe greeted me with his usual winning smile and enthusiastic shake of the hand.


When my head hit the pillow a little later in the evening, I could not help but be grateful for all of the events of the trip.  The conversation with Emma is the kind of thing I truly cherish in the course of my life’s journey.  The unbelievable kindness and desire to help by the information staff at the Copenhagen airport helped me appreciate Bismarck’s comment that…God takes care of children, idiots…” and apparently, in this case, tired and long haul travelers…

- ted

No comments:

Post a Comment