Sunday, March 1, 2015

Different, only the same...

“I think I will have to use my time wisely and keep
my thoughts straight if I am to succeed and
deliver the cargo I so carefully have
carried thus far to the outer reaches.”
-       Neil Young, inside jacket cover:
Waging Heavy Peace
an autobiography

“This is a new song I wrote about my ranch. I live on a ranch in California.” He said.

“I just bought it awhile ago from these two lawyers.” He continued  “There’s an old man living on it…like an old caretaker…so I wrote this song for him.”

Then came, the lyrics from the signature and haunting voice of the Canadian singer Neil Young.

Old man look at my life,
I’m a lot like you were,
Old man look at my life
I’m a lot like you were

Old man look at my life,
Twenty four
And there’s so much more
Live alone in a paradise
That makes me think of two…

It was 1971 on the BBC, and no pun intended, Young at the age of 26 could not have looked younger.  I WAS 24! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1_Do_fc).

While it is unknown to me how many times he sang this piece, I saw him do it on video, twice more.  A 1998 for a Farm Aid concert, he sang with a beard and wearing a short brimmed fedora.  He was 53 and a bit tired looking.  I WAS 51!

…Love lost, such a cost,
Give me things that don’t get lost.
Like a coin that won’t get tossed
Rolling home to you.

Old man take a look at my life
I’m a lot like you
I need someone to love me
The whole day through
Ah, one look in my eyes
And you can tell that’s true….

The last video I watched was recorded at a 2013 Farm Aid concert.  This time he was clean-shaven, heavy jowled wearing a larger brimmed fedora. He was 68 and could not have could looked much older.  I WAS 66!

…Lullabies, look in your eyes,
Run around the same old town.
Doesn’t mean that much to me
To mean that much to you.

I’ve been first and last
Look at how the time goes past.
But I’m all alone at last.
 Rolling home to you…

I found myself in this ‘place,’ because my neighbor Bill, knowing Young and I were born in Toronto, thought I might be interested in reading his autobiography Waging Heaving Peacea hippie dream. In fact there is no connection other than appreciating some ever so familiar names of towns in Ontario and Manitoba. Yet it was finishing this book that led me to spend a few hours listening to his music, from the days of Buffalo Springfield…Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young…as well as Crazy Horse, all bands in which he played.

This summer, I will be 68; in the fall Young will be 70 and I am certain he will continue to create and sing as long as he is able.  I will still to resonate with this gifted, and troubled artist through the words that began in his 24th year and continue to tell the tale of a journey, while different in detail, about all of us…

Old man take a look at my life
I’m a lot like you.
I need someone to love me
The whole day through
Ah, one look in my eyes
And you can tell that’s true

Old man look at my life
I’m a lot like you were.
Old man look at my life,
I’m a lot like you were.


“…a lot like you were…?” Maybe a lot like I am as the ‘future’ at 24 has now become the ‘present’ of 67.  Yet at 67, the ‘place’ I now find myself has no time, no past, no present, at least at this moment there are just the lingering words and sound echoing timelessly through my mind…

- ted

No comments:

Post a Comment