Sunday, November 23, 2014

Let there be peace...

“In memory, everything seems to happen to music.”
- Tennessee Williams: The Glass Menagerie


It began with 11 simple words posted on Carol’s Facebook page. 

“Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me…”

In less than a millisecond I disappeared into the mists of memory finding two companions significant to my life: My older sister Anne and my mother.

For the next 10 or 15 minutes, I entered the ‘cavern of cognitive dissociation’ from the real world, and was transported to any number of settings where the beginning lines to this family favorite hymn brought images and sounds, with clarity, to my heart and mind.

In those moments lost to reality, these two wonderful women sang this hymn for me under very different circumstances.  Anne was gifted from a child with a notable soprano voice.  My father liked to show her off when people visited, and I cannot count the number of times he, to my mind, aggressively encourage her to sing for our guests. 

She may have enjoyed this – I never really asked – but it seemed to me, she often sang under duress.  I do know this, however, she loved music and loved to sing and cultivated her gift through a graduate degree in voice, making a career of pleasing people privileged to hear her and cultivating the gifts of voice students with whom she has spent her adult life teaching.

My mother, on the other hand, had a lovely ‘choir’ voice.  It was in the alto register and quietly expressive.  As a child and young adult, she had memorized many hymns, the words of which brought her strength and sustenance.  She sang and taught them to me…it was her way.

When I read the single line post, my mother’s voice took over my mind with an almost startling immediacy and I heard her with quiet sincerity sing those words to me once again.  It was as though I had slipped into a tub of warm water and felt the soothing gentleness of her character envelop me as she so often had done in her life.

Anne then appeared with a power and inspiration of voice that one could not hear without being touched.  This song and ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone’ (also a favorite of Mum) came to mind with the rush of a summer wind blowing through the leaves of the Canadian hardwood trees of my youth.  I suppose because it seemed so natural to hear her sing, I seldom expressed to her the depths with which her voice touched me.

It gets better…
I was so taken by Carol’s first line, that I posted the next …”Let there be peace on earth – the peace that was meant to be.”

Over the next day, other friends of hers placed line after line – one person at a time until the first verse was complete.  I confess, I checked several times during the day, hoping it would get done.

While the specific circumstance was unexpected and greatly enjoyed, the experience of an unpredicted stimulus bringing to life things passed, is not new to me, and I am certain, you either.  It is part of the magic of life!

The bigger picture…
I never cease to be fascinated that everything entering through the vacuum cleaners of sight, sound, touch, smell and taste, somehow sticks to fluid bathed, micro electric neurons and remains surprisingly alive and well somewhere in what appear to be inaccessible regions of our minds…until…until some unforeseen stimulus brings them to the surface like bobbing balloons held under water and quickly released.

The thing is, we don’t ask for these memories to emerge, from behind the boulders and sand dunes of our minds.  Yet there they reside, in what seems to be a state of suspended animation eagerly waiting for an opportunity to slip across the technicolor, silver screens of our minds.

I had not expected to spend a little time with the women of my family yesterday.  In fact, I can’t think of anything that was further from my mind, or maybe better said, buried more deeply in my mind.


More to the point, I had certainly not expected to see the first line of that wonderful old hymn on Carol’s Facebook page either.  Yet post it she did and with little doubt, the quality of my day was immeasurably better…

- ted

No comments:

Post a Comment