Sunday, November 10, 2013

I don't need to know...

"Now we see through a glass darkly..."
1Corinthians 13:12

An ‘open hand’…a necessary ingredient for embracing the possibilities of the unknown, the prize behind “…door number two…,” the willingness to expect the unexpected…yes sir working to keep an open hand is what makes life so interesting.

It had been a long run, I was bone tired with only one thought in my mind – get horizontal as soon as possible!  The micro journey along the pathway through the darkened forest of the future, delayed that event AND once again reminded me just how unexpectedly refreshing ‘trusting the process’ can be. 

Last leg before home…
I had come to Frankfurt to do some strategic planning training with a group of European physical therapists that are part of the McKenzie Institute, an international organization who’s primary mission is to educate therapists worldwide in the teachings of the founder after whom the organization is named.  My teaching partner Uffe, from Denmark, is one of the more genuinely delightful people I know, so it was something to which I looked forward, near the end of what would become my first around the world trip…forward because I have known many of these dedicated and thoughtful people for nearly two decades.

The week prior to the training had been filled by a conference in Dubai, where I spoke to an international conference regarding the importance of exercise in chronic back pain patients.  I don’t know about other speakers, but preparing for these sorts of things is stressful, time and energy consuming.  For me, it can best be described as ‘fearfully exciting!’ 

In the end, the presentation went well in a week filled with daylong scientific sessions, long evening dinners and other social events.  By the time I got on the flight to Frankfurt, it was time to charge the batteries.

Frankfurt and Dubai are similar in the respect they are both financial centers, but the parallel pretty much ends there.  Dubai in the United Arab Emerites: ultra modern, emerging in the past decade or so as one of the more unique and artificial places on earth.  Frankfurt in the middle of Europe: a long and important history where as early as 794 the Emperor/mystic Charlemagne held court.  Another big difference is the weather.  Whilst Dubai was quite warm and humid (94F - 34C), Frankfurt was in the 60s (16C) with off and on rain showers.  They could NOT be more different in appearance, climate or ‘feel.’

The beginning of the end…
The first day of training went well, with a lot of positive energy spent by all.  Monday evening, our wonderfully gracious host George, took us to dinner at a traditional German restaurant.  Getting there, however, was a bit of an adventure! We took a hotel bus to the airport, the train to downtown Frankfurt and ‘shanks pony’ (foot power) a fair distance to the dinner place...George leading; the rest of us following like so many goslings padding along behind their mother goose!

The food was great!  I ordered the ‘Woodcutter’s Steak – a beefsteak smothered in onions and enough potatoes to feed a small army.  German food is often heavy and ‘rib sticking,’ fortifying the eater for the work ahead…his meal was delicious and of little doubt in the German tradition.

By now, my tummy was full and I realized just how tired I really was.  After chatting with my tablemates and realizing I was slipping into moments of incoherent conversation, I looked around to see if I could recruit a group to share a taxi back to the hotel.  What began with two, turned into seven and after negotiating with the waitress, a minivan appeared that could accommodate all of us.  A funny thing about the group, is that we were all the ‘older folk!’  I didn’t realize that until I looked around the taxi and noticed that all of us had, shall I say, more mature looking faces than those we left behind!

When we got to the hotel, Uffe said, “Let’s go to the bar for a few minutes – you can get some water – I have some thoughts I would like to share.” All the way home in the cab, all I could see was the bed, how good it would be to slip into it, and my willingness to give in to that great gift of the gods – SLEEP!!  Uffe’s comment was almost like fingers scratching on a blackboard.  My first thought, “Really?  Are you kidding? You want to do this?”  The rapid succession of thoughts may not be worth writing, but could be best categorized under the general category of, “Man, I am uncertain I have a coherent neuron in my brain!!” 

What I said, however, after a brief calculus was, “Sure, let’s chat for a bit.”

The night got interesting…
By now it was getting close to 10PM (22.00), and the bar was pretty full of businessmen talking, drinking and enjoying the end of their day. We took a standing spot at the very end of the curved bar. 

Uffe is a businessman, visionary and has thoughts come to him almost as freely as a mountain stream whose waters flow by the natural effects of gravity.  Once settled, he began to talk a little about telemedicine and how might be the future for much of the cost problems in healthcare.  As he frequently says, “I am not certain about the details, but that can be worked out later.”

We had been chatting for about 10 minutes, when an ‘early 40s’ looking woman sitting at the end of the flat side of the bar to Uffe’s right said, in the kind of perfectly sweet English that could only be described as CANADIAN, “Excuse me, but I couldn’t help but over hear your conversation.  I work in health care in the Province of Ontario, and am CEO of a company that uses telemedicine extensively.” 

Shantelle, it turned out had been the victim of a cancelled flight home to Toronto and the airline put her up in our hotel.  Her presence led to a lively conversation that both woke me up and got my groggy brain more fully engaged in the discussion.  I am uncertain if it was the content of the conversation or the sheer coincidence of our meeting that shook me awake.

I have NO idea how it works…
Here’s the deal about life, and the reason I’m telling this story:

1.     The day had been long and dinner pretty far from the hotel requiring transport and a fair amount of walking – I could have passed on dinner.
2.     After eating, it took time to organize the number of people that were ready to return to the hotel, and finding a taxi that could hold all of us – I could have gotten a single taxi almost immediately.
3.     Uffe suggested we go to the bar to talk about some thoughts he had – I could have begged off and gone to bed.
4.     Shantelle’s flight might not have been cancelled in which case she would not have been in the bar.
5.     She might not have been hungry, nor had the courage to go by herself for a bite to eat in the bar of a business hotel so late in the evening.
6.     She could have been in any line of work, and in fact did not need to engage a couple of strange men chatting at 10PM at night in a in group of moderately loud, food eating, beer drinking men – and yet there she was.

There are any number of pieces in this chess game that brought all of us together in that moment.  Anywhere along the line the smallest change in circumstance would have meant the meeting would never have happened…

These are the events in life that make the journey such a wonder to me.  Who could arrange these things to happen?  How could one even consider the constellation of apparently unrelated events leading to the meet?  Random chance?  I cannot accept that because the events appeared to have deliberate purpose. 

Getting this to work required perfect timing of the completely unknown!  The taxi to hotel had to be perfectly timed…Uffe had to have the question…I needed to agree…Shantelle needed have a cancelled flight, be in this hotel and be hungry, brave to be in that bar…she needed to be on the last barstool beside which Uffe was standing and have the courage to insert herself into our conversation.  

Say what you will, there is an order…there is a plan…there is an ‘Arranger’ who may take even more pleasure in arranging these things than I do in experiencing them.  I know they are not just for my education, but the lesson of the ‘open hand’ was not lost on me!

It is written: “Ask and ye shall receive, seek and ye shall find, knock and the door shall be opened.”  Isn’t this what the journey of life is all about? Having the choices and being willing to say yes to them?

I may not get it, nor see these things coming, but when they happen – “…bone tired…” or not, I find myself with the wonder of a little child.

How are your hands?

- ted

No comments:

Post a Comment