Sunday, February 14, 2016

Just around the corner...

“Life is always a rich and steady
time when you are waiting for
something to happen or to hatch.”
- E.B. White, Charlotte’s Web

We are waiting!

It’s always the waiting…hurry up, hurry up…then wait!

I grew up with two sisters – Margaret Anne, my elder and Nancy Jeanne, my younger. I was the ice cream in the ‘ice cream sandwich’ of the off spring in my family.

Both of my sisters, remarkable in their own ways, had daughters. Nancy’s daughter Mariah Lynn and Anne’s daughter Nancy Ellen. We lost sister Nancy much too early four years ago on the 12th of February, a day we celebrated her life and mourned our loss.

Molly and I have no children. No, it isn’t because we couldn’t; it is because we made a deliberate and conscious choice to not bring a child (-ren) into the world. In those child bearing years, we made the decision to dedicate our lives in the service of others, wanting to be available as much as we could to those efforts. As we look back, both in our 6th decade, it was the right choice and one for which we are grateful having made.

We are impatiently tapping our toes here!!

Fortunately, in the early childless years, we had lots of time which I filled with hundreds of hours (over several decades) as a youth group co-director for the church community we were serving.  Acting in this capacity, I had the privilege of working with some of the great kids I have known in my life. You know what I mean…kind of like grand parenting…you play with them, do interesting and fun things, and when you are done, just send ‘em home!

Along the way, Mariah Lynn and Nancy shared a home with us for the first 14 years of the Mariah’s life. It was wonderful. I got to be a surrogate dad and saw the girls every day. It was like having a daughter that just showed up. When the two of them moved to their own home just before high school, I mourned the empty nest.

Mariah grew up in to a strong, vibrant woman, finished medical school, married a fellow named Dan (great guy), had a baby boy (Coen) nearly a year ago and is doing her residency in Baltimore, Maryland.

We are getting kind of antsy – if you know what I mean!!!

Baltimore, now here is where this all gets interesting.

Nancy Ellen, you might recall being just previously mentioned, my older sister’s daughter, also grew up into a strong vibrant woman. She became a compassionate and smart hospital social worker, married a gal named Jessie and lives in Baltimore!

Here is what all this waiting is about!!!!

Nancy is about as pregnant as she can get and we were hoping she would deliver her baby a couple of days ago.  We ARE waiting for the delivery.

Like Coen, this little creature in the spaceship of its mother’s tummy (gender unknown to me), is running a little late and causing all of us to hold our collective breaths, waiting for it’s appearance.

It’s not just us, of course, but a chorus of folk who love these young women and look forward to meeting this child as it begins its journey on the planet we have come to love…

I have tried incantations, holding my breath, quietly meditating in prayer and consorting with my Tibetan souvenir prayer beads…

In the end, it (she/he) will be what it (she/he) will be.


I suppose I need to relax and just “…breathe…”

- ted

No comments:

Post a Comment