Sunday, November 1, 2015

Moving right along...

“No one is so old as to think he
cannot live one more year.”
- Marcus Cicero

“Hey tall man, you need to take a nap!”

When the late afternoon comes, I find myself slipping into a state of mind that is…well, a reduced state of mind. 

It is almost as if my body is saying, “Look bud, the hump of the day is over…your energy levels are drifting, and you need to plug into the grid for a quick recharge.”

Often, I’ll head for the bedroom for a power nap.

A power nap used to mean: close my office door, lie on my back with legs on a chair for 15 minutes.  Some cosmic thing would happen, and I’d be energetic for the rest of the day.

Power nap, is really the wrong expression for what happens now!

I get horizontal, and within a minute or so, there is the soft padding of feet along the bedroom floor followed by the scratchy sound of those same feet at the bottom end of arthritic hips, making their way up the small staircase at the side of the bed. Next a small calico head appears – eyes just above the edge – seeming to express,

“I’m sorry, I didn’t know anyone was here.  Oh well, since I am already almost on the bed, do you mind if I come on up?”

With that, and NOT waiting for a response, Leah mounts the mattress, gives me ‘the look,’ – You want this too – and with gentle, somewhat labored steps, climbs to my chest, where she eases to her comfort position – paws crossed left over right – turns on the purring machine, and along with the ‘tall man’ enters a twilight zone like a pair Zen masters seeking oneness with each other and the universe.

It is what it is...
As my life journey moved past the thirties, I noticed the difference between the beginning and the end of the day. 

There is this metabolic thing that happens somewhere around the third decade of life. Sparing the details, the physiologic energy processes shift, and the things we could do, eat or drink seem to take a little more of a toll, and we don’t recover quite so quickly.

As the decades glide along these things progress, and I found myself, sometimes unwillingly, taking a little more care in order to continue to be as active as I wanted to be.

The forties taxed me a little more and I began to accept the fact that jumping as high and running as fast were probably NOT in my future, and there were consequences to being a ‘weekend warrior.’ 

It took practically the whole 5th decade to accept what had become evident in the 4th – some things would never be the same again!

It was here, however, I realized I had more ‘spare time’ than in earlier decades. Since I couldn’t be as aggressively active, I could read a little more…think a little more…look around a little more….

By the time the 60s came along, I had accepted the gentle downslope of my life’s trajectory, working to keep from giving in, while at the same time embracing the changes that seem to come with greater speed.

I suppose I began to believe there was wisdom in the words of that great American philosopher Harry Callahan, probably known better by his more common name ‘Dirty Harry,’

“A man’s got to know his limitations!”

I am curious about what the 70s will bring, but I’ll have to wait a couple of years to see what’s behind that door.

Sometimes you need a little help…
Part of the thing about being a human being is that often you need a little help to see the obvious. Sometimes, in the biosphere of our own minds, things are not quite so clear, and we need some guidance. I suppose that is why God constructed us to be social creatures – you know, to help one another.

There is truth in the aphorism: When I am weak, then am I strong.

In this case, and in my home, the real world reality of that saying would come from Molly.

On those afternoons, when the 5am full gas tanks don’t have much left in them and I don’t seem to understand why my get up and go has gotten up and gone, I get the  gentle look, possibly encouraged by Leah, and familiar voice,


“Hey tall man, you need to take a nap!”

- ted

No comments:

Post a Comment