Sunday, September 13, 2015

Over almost before it starts...

“They lose the day in expectation of the night,
and night in fear of the dawn.”
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca,
On the Shortness of Life
I’ve been thinking about dying lately.

I’m actually kinda looking forward to it.

These thoughts have nothing to do with big disappointments in life, or accelerating the time course, or hoping for an unexpected event that might end it all –> lights out –> the big sleep –> a one way “…ticket to ride…”

They have nothing to do with hoping I will not end up in an extended care facility rocking back and forth until my last breath, nor struggling through a terminal chronic disease robbing me of all self respect and awareness.  All of that is an uncertain and totally unpredictable fantasy of the future. 

Death is not the fantasy, but spending time in fear of what might happen truly is…

Truth? We have no guarantee of tomorrow…

My thoughts have been more along the lines of knowing the time ‘working for the company’ is not permanent and within the constraints of my own expectations and desires, getting as much out of the ride as is possible.

Life passes so quickly, we often miss doing things we meant to and find ourselves immersed in thoughts of regret...missing the moment we are in.  It is easy to fall into a mind-set that ‘time and gravity’ have taken more than they have given.

The thing is that from the moment we take our first breath and enter the theater of life ‘stage right,’ all signs point toward the exit ‘stage left.’  This is simply the natural order of things…there is no eternal youth, no magic potion, no ‘deal with the devil’ that gives eternal youth in exchange for our soul. We are, as Mark Aurelius was fond of saying, “…but a small wet spot…” who should get up every morning and fully live the life of a human being – whatever that means for us!

In the end, I suppose it is all about the way we view life and the decisions we make on a daily basis (minute by minute really).  Importantly, it is never too late to do things now rather than putting them off.  

Country music lyricists and musicians Tim Nichols and Craig Wiseman, in a song recorded by country artist Tim McGraw, sum it up best in their pop culture piece “Live like you were dying.”

…I loved deeper,
And I spoke sweeter,
And I gave forgiveness I've been denying,
And he said someday I hope you get the chance,
To live like you were dyin'.

The Roman poet Horace (Odes) provided the frequently used phrase – “Carpe Diem” (seize the day). I kinda like a modification of that phrase a friend sent along to me: “Carpe the heck out of the Diem.”

Nichols and Wiseman were right, we should do the best to “…live like [we] are dyin’…”


‘Cause we are…and that is not a bad thing….

- ted

No comments:

Post a Comment