Sunday, June 28, 2015

Young as you feel...

“It’s paradoxical that the idea of living a long life
appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting
old doesn’t appeal to anyone.”
- Andy Rooney,
Contributor to
60 Minutes

Lunch was good…the conversation, as I had come to expect, lively, interesting and informative.

Dave and I have met off and on since my arrival in Tucson. He is a psychology academic at the University and a very thoughtful fellow. I had initially sought his input for a project, and we met two or three times to talk about it. We hadn’t chatted for several months…it was good to catch up.

Tucson has a recently installed streetcar system called the Sun Link, and as surely as its namesake implies, with the exception of Monsoon season, it makes its 3.9-mile (6.3km) trek under clear skies through the downtown area, small shops and alternative music venues of the 4th avenue district, and the University of Arizona Campus.

The New York Times recently ran a thoughtful article titled: “In Tucson, an Unsung Architectural Oasis.”  A fair amount of that architecture slipped by the trolley windows on the ride from the Congress Street station – where I had parked my car to avoid finding a spot downtown – to lunch at the Wilko Eatery just across the street from the main entrance to the University of Arizona campus.

After lunch, I headed down the block, back to the Trolley stop.  It was 110F (43.3C)!

The boarding platforms along the route are open air, and have coverings to shield waiting riders from the electromagnetic and ultraviolet rays streaming to earth unimpeded by anything but blue sky. The shaded areas have comfortable white single seats made from woven metal strips and molded for short-term comfort.

Having been sitting for the previous hour, I leaned against a shaded post, reviewing the topics of conversation with Dave.

Out of the clear blue…
“Excuse me sir, would you like to take this seat?”

Since I was certain these words were not intended for me, I continued standing against the post in focused thought.

“Excuse me sir,” the voice a little louder.

“Would you like to take this seat?”

I turned to see a young man looking straight at me…AT ME!!

It took a moment to register that the look and the voice were intended for me.

In my best internal Robert Di Nero imitation I thought,

Are you talking to me?          

ARE YOU TALKING TO ME!!??

He was talking to me.

I thought, Seriously, are you kidding??  Would I like to take this seat! Really?!

I wanted to say, “Hey kid, how about laying it down for a quick arm wrestle.”

Or maybe…

“Listen young man, for a dollar I’ll race you to the main gate of the University and back!”

What I actually said was, “Thanks for the offer. I appreciate it, but I’m good.”

With that, I glanced at the entrance gates to the University, then down at the tracks trying to appear preoccupied in thought, which by the way had vacated my brain with the speed of a balloon recently released without tying off its end.

I quietly muttered to myself that perhaps the kid had been in the sun a little too long himself, and while considerate was…DELUSIONAL!

…take this seat indeed!!

Could I handle the truth…
When I got home, I related the story to Molly expecting her to say, “You know kids. Adults just look older to them. You are vibrant and interesting…you look young for your age. Ignore what the polite young man said.” She might even continue, “You are my shining prince, ever youthful…” Come on Moll, I’m ready, pump me up!

What she said was, “You have looked pretty old for a long time.”

Once again, whatever air had filled that balloon on the way home, evaporated into the ether. In this case, however, there was no place to glance, no way to look preoccupied…the woman knows every move I have! I put on my best face and thought.

Well, I don’t feel like an old guy!

In her defense, she did say it with a gentle pat…in a loving and caring tone of voice.

Lemons…lemonade?
Perhaps, in spite of how I feel, I need to come to grips with the fact that time has moved faster than I thought and apparently I look like the kind of person who needs a little help…maybe even a shaded place to sit on a hot summer’s day at a trolley stop in Tucson, Arizona.


Next time, I’ll invite Dave to my place for lunch!

- ted

No comments:

Post a Comment