Sunday, April 19, 2015

In anticipation of a life...

“It is our duty, my young friends to resist old age…
to fight against it as we would fight against a
disease; to adopt a regimin of health;
to practice moderate exercise; and
to take just enough of food and
drink to restore our strength
and not over burden it.
- Cicero – On Old Age

To: Baby Robertson on his/her arrival on planet earth.

From: Uncle Ted

My dear ‘BR,’

I awoke in the night thinking about you and wondering just what you might look like when you make your appearance. I suppose I should clarify that a little, because I have little doubt you will look like most babies at birth…wet, wrinkled…a little noise maker leaving the warmth of a loving and caring mother’s tummy, to the harsh glare of…of, well something unknown!

Actually, you were due today, and having communicated with your mum, you seem pretty active, BUT not quite ready to emerge. I suppose, I don’t blame you. When you have been living in an apparently secure place, why would you want to change addresses?

Ah, my not yet born infant friend, you will, however, find that everything about life is change. In the early days and months, it won’t really matter because the things that enter your world will be so confusingly new, there won’t be time to consider what you see and hear and touch and smell and taste. In fact, it will be everything you can do to just remain in the moment.

As I lay in bed, on the cusp of my 68th year, I wondered how we might interact.

When we meet, I also will be wrinkled, but much bigger and with a little less energy than you possess. You will, of course, only know me as an elderly, tired looking fellow identified as…hmmm…’uncle Ted?’…’Ted’…possibly some other family centric moniker.

Whatever the label, I am certain we – you and I – will find an identifier for the mind and the heart, and once things slow down for you, will become good friends. After all, I have a pretty good relationship with your mother, as I had with hers (my sister) and gratefully with my own.

The women in our family have been and are extraordinary human beings who brought special lights to all with whom they came in contact. 

If you turn out to be a girl, I have NO DOUBT you will carry the tradition as long as you travel into the great unknown to which you have been called. You will be taught the importance of faith in God and the values of integrity and purpose. Your mother will tell you there is NOTHING you cannot do, and with belief in that principle, you will not be restricted by thoughts of self-doubt and fear.

If, on the other hand, you are a boy, well, all I can say is that you will be the luckiest of little boys and young men. Your mother will take the time, as did mine, to teach you to respect the women and men with whom you come in contact – especially the women. I say this, because my life has been so greatly enriched by those smart and strong females who I have just mentioned to you. Your Mum will tell you the truth…she will not pull punches and all of that will make you a better man and human being.

To be honest, at this stage of the game, I am not leaning either way and am kind of tickled not to know what gender you are. It adds some spice to the equation and in many ways it makes the entrance you will make just a little more exciting!

I only know this…hang on to your hat…you are in for the ‘ride of your life’…literally!


- ted...or whatever you decide to call me!

No comments:

Post a Comment