Sunday, June 1, 2014

Not just another day...

“Keep your eyes wide open before
marriage, half shut afterwards.”
- Benjamin Franklin

We stood, waiting our turn… a bit anxious.  It was a moment for which she had waited…not just any moment…at this time in her life; it was ‘the’ moment.

The others had slipped into place and begun the process.  That complete, there was a short film, following which we would do our part…better said I would play a supporting role in the unfolding events.

Another waiting…another time…
The first time I actually knew she was alive was a ‘kick’ inside her mother’s tummy.  An active child in the womb…prescient of her life on planet earth…Nancy let me feel her moving.  That developing creature protected by skin and bone and a mother’s love was taking shape. 

The second time, and not so distant from the first, was listening to her heartbeat for the first time.  Movement is one thing, a beating heart…well that is something different…something prehistoric…something that defies expression, for it suggests life, sustained life…life that ‘is,’ or at the very least ‘becoming’ self-sustaining.  It is the very rhythm into which the breath of life is breathed…more than just a biologic process, for injected into the unrelenting division of cells, formation of organs and sensory systems, the mystery of consciousness “…becomes…”

To those for whom life is nothing more than an unconscious organic evolution of the universe, I have a sense of sorrow.  Not a sorrow of superior insight, for God knows, I find mine frustratingly limited.  Rather for the inability to accept there are some things (maybe most things) for which we have so few answers…a mindset I find as overwhelmingly limiting as religious dogma that does not accept so many things that are knowable.  In fact for me, there is comfort in the ‘what’s next,’ the ‘mystery of human touches’ that edify and inform my life. 

One need only fully embrace the emergence of that beating heart and the ‘non-organic’ budding intellect to appreciate consciousness is more than a spike on the evolutionary x-axis of the universe.

It was time.  The film ended, she took my arm…we caught each other’s eye and with a familiar knowing look – took the first steps…

A different birth…
While I cannot speak to the specifics, for I am certain it is as unique to each person as the myriad of distinctive faces and curiosities that we as human beings have, they found each other.  A conception of coincident thought occurred… something prehistoric…something that defies expression, for it suggests love, sustained love…love that ‘is,’ or at the very least ‘becoming’ self-sustaining.  It is the very rhythm into which the breath of a relationship is breathed…more than just a biologic process, for injected into the unrelenting division of feelings and affection, there form shared experiences and sensory feelings, the mystery of love “…becomes…”

He was waiting for us.  While it wasn’t as if they didn’t know one another…it wasn’t as if those who were their family and friends were surprised by the moment…he was waiting, and at least to me, his beating heart was palpable.

The event…
Saturday afternoon, May 31st at 4:50PM, I had the honor of walking my niece Mariah Dreisinger down the isle and giving her hand in marriage to Dan Robertson.  I suppose for some with this privilege, things happen so quickly that everything is a blank, but for me in those brief 40 to 50 feet, so many images of shared family experience flashed through my mind…the giggle of a ticklish child…the twinkle in her eye planted by the most diligent and loving of mothers…the dedication and unrelenting drive to finish and excel in school and athletics.  In those brief steps, the videotape in my mind ran at lightening speed, and I was able to engage every bit of it in Technicolor.

She placed her small bouquet of flowers in the empty chair where her mother would have sat and we both kissed our hands and touched them in rememberance of the woman who had invested so much…

With that, I kissed her cheek, hugged Dan and took my seat…the privilege and honor  of  ‘giving away the bride’ complete.

This morning, they awoke fulfilling the age-old words, “Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.”  


While no one at that ceremony could have been more proud than I, there was another…absent in form – not so in spirit…our beloved Nancy, whose presence through her daughter was palpable in my beating heart…

- ted

No comments:

Post a Comment