Sunday, March 9, 2014

Islands are not alone...


“Don’t bother people for help without first
trying to solve the problem yourself.”
– Colin Powell

BAM! 

It sounded like a small caliber rifle going off… before I knew it my front tire was as flat as a pancake!

I’m not a serious bicycle rider, but try to get in one or two 12-15 mile (19-24km) rides per week.  It’s part of my ‘trying to keep this 66 year old body moderately fit…at the same time enjoying myself’ routine. 

It was one of those lovely sunny days, where the southern Arizona climate couldn’t seem to make up its mind whether it was supposed to be warm or cool, and the air currents pushing their way through my vented riding shirt gave mixed messages.  It was the kind of late winter’s day when the blooming desert flowers give off a sweet, subtle smell that seemed satisfyingly refreshing.

The flat was really not a problem, because I had only gotten three minutes or so from home.  I carry a spare in the little pack beneath my seat, but since I was so close, I just got off the bike and walked the 15 minutes it took to get back to the house.

“Hey Molly,” I called as I came through the garage door. 

“Well,” she replied, “that was a pretty quick ride!”

“Yeah, you know what those exercise gurus say about brief, but high intensity workouts,” I said.  “Go hard in short bursts and then allow time for recovery!”

“Actually, I blew a tire!” We both chuckled.

The intent was to slip in a new tube and head out again, but thought I might as well find the leak.  After pulling the inner tube and pumping it up a little, it was off to the kitchen sink and a large bowl of water to see if I could find the tell tale ‘bubble stream’ that would identify where the thing had failed. 

No problem…the gurgling sound and a small stream of air identified the source.  I dried the tube, roughed up the spot around the leak, applied a little glue (waiting for it to dry) and put on the patch.  The whole operation took about 10 minutes.

Feeling pretty good for the ‘small task’ self-sufficient problem/solution, I put in a new tube, pumped the tire was off once again, regaining my Zen attitude as I pedaled the first 10 or 15 minutes up the small hill leading to the trail loop.

BAM! 

Once again the sound was like a small caliber rifle shot; this time I felt a brief burst of air against my right leg as the wheel spun and the tire flattened against the warm asphalt pavement.

This time I was a little too far away from home to walk the bike back and still try to get in the daily dose of prescribed activity.  A little sheepishly I made the call.

“Hey Molly,” I said.  “I’m at the post office with another flat tire.  Something isn’t right. Would you bring the car and pick me up?”

Over the years, we have learned when to tease one another and when to let the ‘dog lie.’  I knew when I left she was into something at home, but she didn’t give me the subtle sigh that relays the message, “Hey, you know I’m busy.” She didn’t say, “Yeah, as soon as I finish this project I’ll come.” 

Nope!  She said pleasantly,  “Sure hon, I’ll be right there.” 

It is always better when we don’t kick that dog!  We have worked hard over the years to let that old boy stay right where he is!

Effects generally have cause…
A flat tire can happen for any number of reasons:  a defect in the tape around the inside of the rim, a bad inner tube or something penetrating the tire that causes the failure. 

When we got home, once again I pulled the tube…found the leak and patched it.  Then I closely examined the inside of the rim by ‘touch and feel’ and ran my fingers on the inside of the tire.  Nothing!  It was a mystery!

Mystery or lack of experience?
While I ride regularly, I am just a ‘noodler’ who pokes around neighborhoods and does short rides in this remarkably bike friendly community.  I can change a tire, adjust the brakes and derailleur, but that’s about it.

I have a ‘snow bird’ neighbor from Pennsylvania who has ridden seriously for years. Before heading to the bike shop, I decided to see him.

He answered the knock on his door, and after explaining the situation he said, “It sounds like your tire has a defect.”  I replied with the tiniest bit of attitude, “I’ve checked the tire and couldn’t find anything.”

Absorbing the comment, he said, “Let’s take another look at that tire.” 

At first, he did the same thing I had done…checked for a small nail or thorn that might have punctured the tread.  Then, he did something unexpected…or at least unexpected for me.  He turned the tire inside out, causing a stretch to its inner lining. 

Voila!!  There was a small tear in the tire itself.  Seeming to understand this could be a gentle ‘teaching moment,’ he said, “120 pounds of pressure in a tire is a lot.  The tube was not contained and a small piece of the tube forced its way into the crack in the casing.  The pressure there can be much higher and the tire will blow!”

Unknown becomes known…
The key to learning is for the student to have a problem that needs solving.  In the classroom, teachers try to create an environment that stimulates questions.  It was a ‘different’ classroom, but this student definitely had a problem looking for a solution!

Life’s expedition presents challenges that naturally generate questions.  Some we can sort out ourselves, others we can solve but need logistics support, and then there are those that simply require outside expertise…it’s just the way it works.  Asking for the assistance is the key, ‘cause if there ‘no ask’ there will surely be ‘no receive!’

In life’s outings, it is always a good thing to carry a spare tire, a way to communicate when in trouble and seek outside help when you need it, because you never know…


BAM!!

- ted

No comments:

Post a Comment