Sunday, February 23, 2014

I 'heard' the news today oh boy...

“It’s interesting that we take for companions, creatures
we know we will outlive.  Those gentle souls who
bring us comfort and so much more
than we often can express.” 
- Anonymous 


4:45 AM. 

The drill goes something like this.
- Consciousness emerges
- Feet hit the floor
- Same feet into slippers
- Shuffle to the kitchen and turn on coffee
- Turn off house alarm
- Open home office door and turn on computer
- Head for the litter box to remove deposits left by the girls over night

By now the coffee is ready and the computer warmed up.  Hot java in hand, it’s to the office for some quiet time and preparation for the day ahead.  I sit on the small couch, prop up my feet, open the iPad, sip a little coffee and look around.

On cue, Leah wanders into the office, gives me ‘the look’ of total disinterest, glances around the room as if searching for something, considering her options for anything…anyone rather than acknowledging that I have any meaning! 

“Come on up girl,” I say.

I get a second expression suggesting, “I’m sorry, but do you even belong in this room?” A little time passes and then as if responding to some signal known only to her, she hops to the padded footstool, walks up my legs, plops herself down, turns on her purring machine and quietly settles into the morning routine of coffee, overnight emails, a brief scan of the headlines, an hour or so of reading, and most importantly for her, gentle petting and ear scratching!

We both know this is a game! 

The headlines this morning were a mixed bag of news, sports and entertainment, ranging from disappointed Olympian hopefuls, abandoned entertainers, and ‘in the real world’ the loss of life in Kiev and that of a little ten year old girl kidnapped and murdered by someone she did not know and who did not know her...so much to process.

What to do?
Life is complicated and much competes for our attention and feelings.  In order to cope with this, I try to focus only on those things over which I have control… thoughts I accept into my mind and the opinions and actions resulting from them.

While it is impossible with any certainty to control much else in life, our behavior can have meaning as we interact with people we love and others around us, which brings me to this morning.

The morning continues…
Somewhere, near the halfway or three-quarter mark of my reading hour, I hear someone stirring in the house.  Since just two humans live here, it would be Molly (not much gets by me).

While I am not completely certain of her exact routine, there is typically a “Good morning!  Did you sleep well?” as she passes my door to the kitchen and dining room.  I usually hear a bit of shuffling around, part of which involves her getting coffee, and the sound of her computer starting up.

Today near the end of my usual prep time I heard, “Oh my…oh no!”  Then I heard her softly crying.  I slipped into the dining room.  She looked up and said, “Michael put Tiger down this morning.” 

Over the next hour we shared sorrow together over the loss of a cat that had been her mother’s faithful companion for a decade, and when Mary died last March, adopted by her brother Michael living in Philadelphia.

How Tiger developed the fungal tumor on his nose is not clear, but it slowly grew until it began to seriously impede his ability to breathe.  Michael, who currently has two other cats and is no stranger in saying goodbye to others over the years, had done everything he could.  Tiger was the most vocal and affectionate of his cats, and Michael struggled as so many of us do with the responsibility taking of another life, particularly one that had given so much.

Early in the morning, he took Tiger to the University of Pennsylvania Veterinary Emergency Room.  The Vet agreed with him that it was time.  Michael, with an aching heart, held that loving little creature in his arms as Tiger slipped away.

While it is always traumatic event to end the life of a one that has given so much, Tiger represented so much more.  In many ways for Michael, Molly and their other brother Mark, Tiger’s death symbolized the loss of a living and last loving link to their mother Mary.


Tomorrow morning the routine will begin as it did this day.  When Leah and I play out the dance to which we have become so accustomed, I will think about Tiger.  I will appreciate the little creature purring on my lap as I pet and scratch her ears with a little more tenderness.

- ted

No comments:

Post a Comment