Sunday, December 22, 2013

We all need a little help…

 “I don't need a friend who changes when
I change and who nods when I nod;
my shadow does that much better.”
– Lucius Plutarch

Sometimes you should ask, sometimes you should listen, and sometimes you just need to be told…

I wrote the email quickly, as can happen when my fire has been lit.  I had been asked and answered the same question three or four times…I was frustrated and expressed the distress in blunt, and fairly harsh terms.  It doesn’t happen very often, but in the past when it has, I sent these sorts of things off right away…

The reasons my finger held short of the send key had to do with friends I have cultivated over the years…most have long since passed away and one of them as current as the daily news.  While there are others, three folks are pertinent to this discussion - Sol, Lucius and Molly.  None of them have met because they lived at different times, but somehow all of them have a fair amount in common, particularly as it relates to my almost overwhelming desire to ‘pull the trigger’ on that email!!!

Sol would be King Solomon, second Monarch to the Jewish Nation.  Lucius’ surname was Plutarch, a Greek historian and writer while Molly…well her surname would be the same as mine, since she and I have been cohabitating for nearly 35 years.

Solomon’s words have been in my mind for decades.  In situations like this he would say soft answers are much better than harsh…they sooth the soul, both for the one feeling the rising anger and the person just about to be on the receiving end. 

As it happened, whilst this small drama unfolded, I had been reading Plutarch’s essays on Morality, and in particular in the early morning of this particular day, the treatise “On Restraining Anger.”  It was strange to be in this annoying situation at precisely the same time I was reading strategies describing how to manage anger when it erupts, be alert to see it coming, understand how completely counterproductive explosive anger can be and recognize the value of decompressing BEFORE it emerges full force into the universe!  

Plutarch says when Socrates felt anger rising in his soul he would “…lower his voice, and put on a smiling countenance, and give his eye a gentler expression, by inclining in the other direction and running counter to his passion, thus keeping himself from fall and defeat.”  He continues “…it is best…to be calm, or to flee to a haven of quiet, when we feel the fit of temper coming upon us as an epileptic fit, that we fall not, or rather fall not on others…” 

I have over the years, quite fallen in love with the words of writers like Plutarch, because they provide companionship to the scriptural teachings upon which I was nurtured by the gentle and loving hands of my parents.  They seem to reach somewhere deeply inside of me and resonate with the rich harmony of a melodically tight group of a cappella singers.  So I read them and appreciate how helpful they are and how they continue to shape my life. 

Philosophy?  No, just common sense…
Molly on the other hand, seems simply to get this sort of thing without much thought – “Without much thought” meaning she has this built in wisdom and life experience that does not require much flowery language.  So Plutarch expresses eloquent words to think about in quiet moments…you know, by putting on some mental armor to protect others, and myself while Molly looks at me and says, “You had better not send that email!  Take a few minutes and come back to it.”  She didn’t need either Solomon or Plutarch to get it…furthermore she didn’t need their words.  She simply continued, “If you send that email, you will regret it later.”

In the moment, it was everything I could do to not hit that ‘send’ button.  The passion growing in my tummy erupting into the cosmic mistiness of lower brain neurons were able to overwhelm concepts by which I try to live my life, AND the words I had read that very morning and had been thinking about a good part of the day. 

It is not that she nagged or warned or cajoled or kept at it – nope, she made the simple statement above, closing her remarks with, “Do whatever you want, I’m just saying…” Damn, that well aimed arrow struck directly in my heart!!

I did not hit the send key, but slipped away and made a phone call to see if I could get a little clarity and better understanding of the situation.  It turned out the call was friendly, helpful and settled the issue completely. 

When I returned to the computer the waters had calmed, the storm having passed over with no casualties to report, and I seemed to be in my right mind.

Just before deleting the unsent email, I reread it and was struck by its tone and forcefulness, neither of which would I like to have put out to the cyber universe, let alone be received by a colleague and friend.  What had seemed extremely appropriate in the moment of writing appeared to be oddly out of place and character, for indeed it was.  In that moment I was grateful for Sol, Lucius and Molly.

There is something about stepping away to breathe that makes a difference in the nature of our lives.  In the heat of the moment, what seems to be the best solution to make things work, is often the very thing that creates further problems.  Going into a quiet room is something I practice on a regular basis, because it makes the quality of life so much better.  There are moments like these, however, when the resources gathered over the years seem to have abandoned me, or are at the very least inaccessible, I am grateful for the physical presence and reminder that sometimes we just need help to keep alert to things just outside our peripheral vision. 

While there is little doubt I appreciate those old writers and their guidance in my life, their words are static and require thoughtful consideration.  Molly on the other hand has no such restraint.  Her words were NOT static and fit the unfolding moment like a glove,

“You had better not send that email!!”
“If you send that email, you will regret it later.”
“Do what you want, I’m just saying…”

They worked and the problem was solved.

I’m just saying…

- ted






1 comment:

  1. with no hesitation on hitting SEND... MERRY CHRISTMAS TED & MOLLY!!!

    ReplyDelete