Sunday, July 22, 2012

A good morning...

"If a man in the morning hear the right way, 
he may die in the evening without regret."
- Confucius: The Analects

Some nights are better than others.  This one was particularly nice.  The windows open, the air cool, Leah (the cat) in her customary way had just hopped up on the bed to begin her ritual of waking us up.  Hopped up is a bit of an exaggeration because as she has gotten older, she has developed a little arthritis in her lower spine and right hip. 

Let me rephrase…”Leah in her customary way had just struggled a little to get to the bed…” This night had been both wonderfully restful, and as she turned on her purring engine, extremely refreshing.  Last night…ah yes, last night was only the 8th night I had spent in my own bed in a month, and the third in three weeks…it was good!

In the past five years, I have come to enjoy living in Southern California.  The weather is consistent on a daily basis – a fair amount of sunshine and a lot of things to do.  Yes indeed, l have come to enjoy living in Southern California.

There are a few things missing here…a few things pleasantly missing and others, truly missing.  For example: humidity… Humidity is one of those missing items that makes life a little more agreeable.  Blizzards…yes, it is nice to not have strategies for shoveling snow.  Flooding…not much heavy water action here.

There are also things relatively new here.  For example, we seem to have a little more company – that would be visiting company.  While I haven’t actually ‘run the numbers,’ I am pretty sure more people have called on us in the past 5 years than in the combined 35 years living in Missouri and Detroit.  Maybe it is true that as one matures and has more to share, people just naturally want to come to drink from the ‘fountain of life’s wisdom’ I have accumulated. On the other hand maybe it is simply to visit the zoo!

There are, however, a few things truly missing out here…things that have meaning.  The past month has reminded me of those items.  This past month is the reason I have spent only a few days in my own bed.

Since June 21, I’ve crossed the continent three times, sleeping in different beds one or two nights at a time.  I am comfortable with traveling, but this was a little more than even I am used to.  The past thirty days has been a mixture of work, reflection and family reconnection.

The work
Not much to say…I like it.

The reflection
We said a final good bye to my younger sister as we placed her ashes in the cool refreshing Canadian waters of central Ontario.  It was a reminder that while living out here is good; there are no forests of hardwood trees.  There are few fresh water lakes to remind one of how alive it feels to jump in and swim.  Missing are the broad-brush shifts of season that have marked time through millennia…mostly, there is the absence of family. 

Family reconnection
My niece visits us fairly regularly, and each time she does, the luminescence of our lives is brightened.  I have another sister, Anne, and her family living in the Washington, D.C. area who I don’t often see.  On this trip I had a couple of days with her.  She is the only remaining ‘blood’ with whom I have journeyed my entire life.

It was good.  We laughed, played a little scrabble with she and her children, struggled through some family issues as all families do, had some intimate and private time (to be coveted)…but mostly, we loved each other.  I can’t speak for how the family perceived me, but in the whirlwind of a short visit sandwiched into a couple of work projects…it was good.  In spite of the heat and humidity of that east coast city, it was refreshing and feeding and edifying.  Yeah, there are a few things missing from my life here in Southern California.

As Leah purred this morning and I gently returned to my bedroom from the adventures of my night visions, I stretched…looked into her eyes and was grateful...grateful for the refreshing night’s sleep and the familiarity of Molly and my own bed…grateful for having the health and strength to handle a month like the one just past…grateful indeed…

- ted

No comments:

Post a Comment