Sunday, May 20, 2012

A short climb, another lesson…


 “Does anybody really know what time it is?
Does anybody really care (about time)?...”
- Robert Lamm, Rock Group 
Chicago

The hike up the mountain is moderately short…1.5 miles with lots of switchbacks.  While its elevation is 1592 feet (485m) above sea level, the actual trail is only about 1000 feet (304m) from base to top with a lovely 360-degree view…the highest point in the city of San Diego.

I had taken a few moments to sit on a small ledge gazing west toward the ocean.  It was a quiet spot and the view can be breath taking.  Today, the marine layer (fog) had not burned completely off as of yet, and I was thinking about my impending 65th birthday.  It wasn’t a negative contemplation…just considering how it seemed climbing the mountain this year seemed to take a little longer and was little more taxing than last. 

A voice from thin air…
“That hat looks pretty light.  Did you get it at REI outfitters?” I heard a woman say.  Turning in the direction of the voice I saw an elderly woman sitting by herself on a rock, under a bush, about 10 feet (3m) behind me.

I had noticed her as I made my way to the perch, but she had one of those sports visor caps with a brim, so I didn’t really get a good look at her.  “Yes,” I replied, “It did come from REI.  Here take it and you can see how it feels.”  Taking off my hat I headed in her direction.

She looked up as I handed her the hat and I got a good look at her.  Her voice had been mature, but she was much older than I had expected.  I was surprised she was up there by herself, and frankly a bit concerned. “I’m Ted, by the way.” I noted, to which she replied, “I’m Gerry, nice to meet you.  This hat is pretty light.  I like it…I should get one of these.” 

I wanted to ask her age, but was bound by that little voice in my head…you know the one…don’t talk politics, don’t discuss religion, and for the love of the Almighty, don’t ask a woman her age.

I was thinking this when Gerry said, “Today I am 83, and I told myself I was going to climb Cowles Mountain when my birthday came.  Coming up wasn’t so bad, but I am a little concerned about going down.”

A little more about the mountain…
Cowles Mountain sits in 5,800 acres (2,347 hectares) of a mostly undeveloped, trail laden, recreational area eight miles northeast of Downtown San Diego.  As good fortune would have it, it is quite near our home.

The main trail (there are four) is one of the most popular in Southern California with the number of hikers somewhere in the neighborhood of 1,000 per day.  The busiest times are just after sunrise and before sunset – jumpstarting or ending the day.

Because of the large number of people who hike the trail on a daily basis, it is hard to keep good maintenance, so stones have worn through the path in places requiring attention.  In addition, there are a few fairly steep steps, not so bad for a fellow my size, but more difficult for shorter people.  Because of the volume of people that hike it, it is one of the safest trails in Southern California…all those people keep snakes and varmints off the trail.  

One sees practically every kind of person on the way up and down…parents with babies in backpack carriers, families, groups of students and mature adults…the climbers are of every age, gender, shape and size...even a Buddhist monk from time to time.  It is also not uncommon to see a family dog getting their exercise as well.

One of the nice things about living close, If you know the heavy traffic hours, and have some occasional flex time, you one hike when the trail is virtually empty… those are my favorite!


Back to Gerry…
“Why don’t we go down together?” I said.  (Molly was fairly new to the climb and getting used to the trail.  We would go down a little more carefully anyway).

“If it wouldn’t be too much trouble, I would like that.” Gerry noted as she pulled out, what looked like a small black stick about 10 inches (0.25m) long.  Before I knew it, she tugged to separate it into two sections, and again into three – it was a collapsible walking stick with a ski handle grip for her hands and a metal tip to negotiate the terrain.

“Well,” I thought with caution. “I hope she doesn’t fall on the way down.”  I had visions of her slipping on one of the more difficult parts of the trail; imagining the challenges if we had to get her off the mountain – my cell phone was at the ready!

As soon as we started down, it was pretty clear my concerns were baseless.  She was surprisingly agile – not just for her age – she was surprisingly agile period!  The walking stick worked as naturally in her hand as though it were a part of her body.

On the way down the trail we got to know one another a little.  She lived alone and had a daughter in San Diego.  Her husband was gone as were most of her friends.  She had, however, done a lot of hiking in her life.  In fact she had lived near Cowles Mountain for decades and had climbed untold numbers of times.  She was full of stories of trails she had walked and the countries in which she had done them.  She was alert, a pretty good story teller, and gave us hints and groups we might consider taking hiking trips with.

A little advice...
Gerry thought that if you walked faster than was your natural pace, you would miss what was natural around you!  For her, the hike might be good for one’s physical health, but enjoyment of the unfolding, 'unknown of the path' was equally edifying.  Gerry, on her 83rd birthday was engaged in life!  At the bottom of the mountain we chatted for a few minutes and then headed home… So much for taking care of a frail older woman!!

This woman had no schedule for the climb…she simply set a goal and put aside some time to get it done…one step after another, a little water in her backpack, and the joyful appreciation for each of those steps celebrating the end of her 83rd year.

I am certain she was NOT thinking that the trail was more taxing than the year before.  I am certain she enjoyed every step, no matter how long it took her to make the climb.  I am certain she didn’t try to walk any faster than her body suggested.  I am certain she stopped from time to time to look at the beautiful scenery along the way.

A little reflection...
As I watched her walk away I could not help revisiting the thoughts I had been having just before we met at the top of Cowles – you know, the climb seeming to be a little more taxing this year than last…

It took an 83-year-old woman, who made a decision to go hiking on her birthday for me to be reminded, yet once again, it is the moment that counts.

More interestingly, we had planned to walk much earlier that morning, because once the sun is up and the clouds burn away it gets quite warm.  

A number of things seemed to slow us down that morning, which had generated a low level hum of personal frustration as we 'finally' started the hike.  We even talked about waiting until the next day.  We didn't wait...we were a little late...BUT things happened as they were meant to unfold that morning.

As is so often the case, it wasn't 'our plan...our time' that counted. It was our job to act...as is so often the way, the rest took care of itself.


- ted

1 comment: